DNS query against a specific server.

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Mon Sep 30 08:36:34 EDT 2013

On Sep 30, 2013, at 7:42 AM, Michel Albert <exhuma at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ``socket.gethostbyname`` sends the DNS resolution query to the DNS server specified by the OS. Is there an easy way to send a query to a *different* server?
>
> I see that twisted.names allows you to do this, but, having all of twisted as dependency to my project when all I need to do is a simple DNS query seems a bit extreme. I also found pydns, but that looks fairly outdated and unmaintained.
>
> Is there not an actively maintained lightweight solution? If not, I will go with twisted.
>

> Cheers,
> Mich.
> --

It isn't pure python, but you would be pretty much guaranteed a maintained solution if you use the name server lookup in your OS.  Something like:

	import subprocess
	nsl_reslt = subprocess.Popen(['nslookup', '<insert name nere>' ],stderr = subprocess.PIPE, stdout = subprocess.PIPE).communicate()[0]

Hope this helps,
Bill