UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xb6 in position 0: invalid start byte

Νίκος nikos.gr33k at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 07:25:21 EDT 2013

Στις 29/9/2013 2:11 μμ, ο/η Dave Angel έγραψε:
> On 29/9/2013 06:24, Νίκος wrote:
>
>      <snip>
>

>> except Exception as e: ===> except socket.gaierror as e:
>> which cannot handle unicore realted errors and the exact same error
>> appeared with my ip address involved at the error log.
>>
>> so, the question that arises again and reamins is how come 'host' vars
>> gets a values most of the times and sometimes it just outputs back
>> unicode related erros.
>>
>> I must tell you that i had this problem also months ago, but since i
>> couldnt able to solve it i left it as it was, but it just started to
>> make things more and more hectic.
>>

> it would be interesting to see a more complete stack trace.  But I'd
> guess that in the process of looking up the ip address at the dns
> servers, somebody is producing a non-ascii byte string that isn't
> encoded in utf-8.  It might conceivably be in your /etc/hosts file as
> well, assuming gethostbyname() looks there when the internet query
> fails.

Thank you for being willing to look this further.

root at secure [~]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
84.200.17.58            secure.superhost.gr secure
root at secure [~]#

Just tell me what else file contents or error_log output you want me to
show you from my server and i will.

Here is my domain's DNS Zone Entry in case it will helpo with something:

let me show you how superhost.gr entry appears via WHM in the Zoen section.

Code:
; cPanel first:11.38.2.7 (update_time):1380448502
Cpanel::ZoneFile::VERSION:1.3 hostname:secure.superhost.gr latest:11.38.2.7
; Zone file for superhost.gr
$TTL 14400
superhost.gr.	86400	IN	SOA	ns1.superhost.gr.	nikos.gr33k.gmail.com.	(
						2013092903 ;Serial Number
						86400 ;refresh
						7200 ;retry
						3600000 ;expire
						86400	)

superhost.gr.	86400	IN	NS	ns1.superhost.gr.
superhost.gr.	86400	IN	NS	ns2.superhost.gr.

superhost.gr.	14400	IN	A	84.200.17.58

localhost	14400	IN	A	127.0.0.1

superhost.gr.	14400	IN	MX	0	superhost.gr.

mail	14400	IN	CNAME	superhost.gr.
www	14400	IN	CNAME	superhost.gr.
ftp	14400	IN	CNAME	superhost.gr.

As for the mail iam afrid it outputs this:
Code:
Warning	MX CNAME Check	WARNING: CNAME was returned for the following MX
records:
mail.superhost.gr
The CNAME(s) that were returned are listed above. This is not ok per the
RFCs and can cause problems including mail being lost!
Error	MX A request returns CNAME	WARNING: MX records points to a CNAME.
CNAMEs are not allowed in MX records, according to RFC974, RFC1034
3.6.2, RFC1912 2.4, and RFC2181 10.3. The problem MX record(s) are:
mail.superhost.gr points to ['superhost.gr']
This can cause problems
Do i need to chnage the mx record in cloudflare so mx records point to
somethign else being ???????

Also my webpage works as

www.superhost.gr   but not as     superhost.gr

I have removed my webiste from cloulflare to make thigns simpler and now
in order to viw mywebiste i must give
http://www.superhost.gr

if i give plain http://superhost.gr it doesnt load at all.

The only way is http://www.superhost.gr but no link on my webpage works
when clicked upon.

iam getting this: http://superhost.gr/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

Clearly these are DNS and Mail issues.

i have asked PaulVPS which is my provider and they dont f***** care to
help resolve those issues, and i have paid them upo until May 2014.

I just dotn want to lsoe other customers :(