Download all youtube favorites with youtube-dl script

Bill bill at bill.com
Thu Sep 26 14:14:33 EDT 2013

Joel Goldstick wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Bill <Bill at bill.com
> <mailto:Bill at bill.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have been using the script youtube-dl
>     http://rg3.github.io/youtube-__dl/ <http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/>
>
>     And I was wondering if there is a way to download all of a user's
>     favorites or uploads.
>
>     The script has a functionality to download all videos in a txt file.
>     So if there is a way using the youtube API or JSON (none of which I
>     am familiar with) to bring up a list of all these videos then it'd
>     be a simple case putting these urls into a file.
>
>     The problem is youtube displays favorites or user uploads in pages
>     or infinite scroll. So it is difficult to access them by the
>     BeautifulSoup module.
>

>     What do you suggest?
>     --
>

> Have you looked at the youtube API?  That would be better than screen
> scraping. https://developers.google.com/youtube/getting_started
>

> --
> Joel Goldstick
> http://joelgoldstick.com

I remember looking at this a while ago. These are the relevant sections
of the API:

https://developers.google.com/youtube/2.0/developers_guide_protocol?hl=en#User_Uploaded_Videos

https://developers.google.com/youtube/2.0/developers_guide_protocol?hl=en#Favorite_Videos

The problem with the API is that with both of these, it only brings up
25 videos e.g. https://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/users/scooby1961/uploads

Unless I'm missing something? There must be a way to bring up all of
them on one page right? Or at least cycle through the rest of them.

Same problem with favorties:
https://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/users/adambuxton/favorites/