Referrer key missing form os.environ dictionary?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 10:26:50 EDT 2013

On 2013-09-25 15:07, Νίκος wrote:
> Στις 25/9/2013 5:01 μμ, ο/η Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick έγραψε:
>> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Νίκος <nikos.gr33k at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello, i decided am ong other os.environ variables to also grab the
>>> 'HTTP_REFERER' fiel but when i try to run my script i was seeing a KeyError
>>> complaining that 'HTTP_REFERER' didnt exist.
>>>
>>> So, to see what existed in the os.environ dictionary i issues a print(
>>> os.environ ) to see all available keys and their values:
>>
>> The Referer header is not mandatory by any means.  Your client
>> probably does not send it.
>>
> But one other problem appeared too:
>
> nikos at superhost.gr [~/www/cgi-bin]# python metrites.py
>    File "metrites.py", line 27
>      host = socket.gethostbyaddr( os.environ['REMOTE_ADDR'] )[0] or 'UnKnown Host'
>         ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>

> i dont see anything wrong with that line, and the carret is actually pointing to
> the "host".

As has been explained to you before, SyntaxErrors just point to the place where
the parser saw something unexpected, not the exact point where you made the
error. It is not omniscient. If you don't see the problem on the reported line,
you have probably left off a closing bracket or something similar in a previous
line. Look back a few lines.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."