Referrer key missing form os.environ dictionary?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 02:01:52 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> I probably should have said "stdin", but in theory you can pass data
> in via multiple file descriptors.  Nobody does that except people
> cooking up obscure examples for advanced shell scripting guides...

Yep. With that variant, I agree that it's more common than env vars
(apart from standard ones - *heaps* of programs are affected by stuff
like LANG or HOME or PATH, but they're not passed at the command
line); what your description put me in mind of, though, was the
special handling sometimes done between two programs, like when the
Unix program loader finds a #! and exec's an interpreter to process
the script - for security, it has to pass the fd, not the file name,
to the interpreter. But that's really esoteric!

Of course, whenever you fork without execing (execking?), you can pass
(or share) file descriptors easily. Very common, but not exactly
command-line stuff.

ChrisA