Referrer key missing form os.environ dictionary?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Sep 25 14:37:27 EDT 2013

On 2013-09-25, ?????????? <nikos.gr33k at gmail.com> wrote:
> ???????? 25/9/2013 6:18 ????, ??/?? Grant Edwards ????????????:

>>> The Referer is not an environment variable.
>>
>> It is when you're writing a CGI app.
>>
>>> How would your shell know what URL you were just browsing?
>>
>> Because the HTTP server sets those environment variables before
>> invoking the CGI app.
>
> So you mean that even if i run it via shell this stement will also
> work

If the shell was started by the HTTP server, yes.  If you logged in
normally, no.

> because it happens to be in the same enviroment with the HTTP server?

The shell will only have that environment if the shell was run by the
HTTP server.

> No need to run it via web browser and check the Apache's error log?

You can set the environemnt variables appropriately in the shell and
then invoke a CGI application directly for testing purposes.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I was born in a
                                  at               Hostess Cupcake factory