What's the best way to extract 2 values from a CSV file from each row systematically?

quarantinemiles at gmail.com quarantinemiles at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 13:10:11 EDT 2013

Hey guys,

I'm a little new to Python, and am still learning!

I'm test building a web scraper that extracts prices from a website, based on two values I want to extract from a CSV file. The CSV has at least 1000 rows, an example:

0,0,KGD,0,DME,0,,0,0

The values I want to extract are KGD and DME (columns 3 and 5).

Each row in the CSV file contains values in columns 3 and 5 that I'd like to extract. What's the best way to extract these data, so I can insert them as inputs in two different fields in a form? A list, dictionary, or MySQL? I try not to do anything with MySQL as I'm not familiar with it at all.

I'm thinking of dictionary because at least I can make it work as a key/value pair (for columns 3 and 5), but a dictionary is unordered. I'd like to automatically go through each row in the CSV file from beginning to end to extract the two values in columns 3 and 5 and insert them into fields in a form.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions or help, thanks in advance!