building an online judge to evaluate Python programs

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Fri Sep 20 18:46:10 EDT 2013

On 9/20/13 6:26 PM, Jabba Laci wrote:
> I just found Docker ( http://docs.docker.io/en/latest/faq/ ). It seems
> sandboxing could be done with this easily.

At edX, I wrote CodeJail (https://github.com/edx/codejail) to use
AppArmor to run Python securely.

For grading Python programs, we use a unit-test like series of
challenges.  The student writes problems as functions (or classes), and
we execute them with unit tests (not literally unittest, but a similar
idea).  We also tokenize the code to check for simple things like, did
you use a while loop when the requirement was to write a recursive
function.  The grading code is not open-source, unfortunately, because
it is part of the MIT courseware.

--Ned.