Antispam measures circumventing

Jugurtha Hadjar jugurtha.hadjar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 11:04:34 EDT 2013

Hello,

# I posted this on the tutor list, but my message wasn't displayed

I shared some assembly code (microcontrollers) and I had a comment wit
my e-mail address for contact purposes.

Supposing my name is John Doe and the e-mail is john.doe at hotmail.com, my
e-mail was written like this:

REMOVEMEjohn.doSPAMeSPAM at REMOVEMEhotmail.com'

With a note saying to remove the capital letters.

Now, I wrote this :

for character in my_string:
...     if (character == character.upper()) and (character !='@') and
(character != '.'):
...             my_string = my_string.replace(character,'')

And the end result was john.doe at hotmail.com.

Is there a better way to do that ? Without using regular expressions
(Looked *really* ugly and it doesn't really make sense, unlike the few
lines I've written, which are obvious even to a beginner like me).

I obviously don't like SPAM, but I just thought "If I were a spammer,
how would I go about it".

Eventually, some algorithm of detecting the

Also, what would in your opinion make it *harder* for a non-human to
retrieve the original e-mail address? Maybe a function with no inverse
function ? Generating an image that can't be converted back to text, etc..

If this is off-topic, you can just answer the "what is a better way to
do that" part.

Thanks,

--
~Jugurtha Hadjar,