What minimum should a person know before saying "I know Python"

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Sep 22 15:48:04 EDT 2013

On Sunday 22 September 2013 15:46:52 Gene Heskett did opine:

> On Sunday 22 September 2013 14:49:21 Dennis Lee Bieber did opine:
> > On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 02:22:59 -0400, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>
> >
> > declaimed the following:
> > >I was quite pleased to see that there was a Rexx/Regina for linux,
> > >and for about 10 minutes thought I could make use of the library of
> > >ARexx code Jim & I had carved up and had running on the amiga, but
> > >was very disappointed to see that Regina wasn't coupled to the os
> > >itself in any way, causing our scripts to barf and exit within the
> > >first 3 or 4 lines of code.
> > >
> > 	No surprise given the lack of real /interactive/ IPC in Windows and
> >
> > Linux. A version of REXX running on (Open)VMS might have a chance --
> > as VMS Mailboxes were a (protected memory equivalent) of Amiga
> > message ports... So a means of "address other_application" could be
> > mapped to opening "other_application_port".
> >
> > 	I vaguely recall once using the "advanced" calls from the back of
>
> the
>
> > manual, and having multiple ARexx scripts talking to each other via
> > "address other_script"
>
> We did that dozens of times a day on every machine we owned, which at
> the time was about just in the commercial production rooms.

s/about just/about 6 just/g

> > >I've seen python doing some heady stuff in the last 5 years, but the
> > >learning curve is pretty steep for my now aging wet ram, which will
> > >be 79 years old in a few days, so the scripting language here at the
> > >Heskett Ranchette is bash, and there is quite a boatload of that
> > >running as background daemons right now.  So I lurk, reading what
> > >goes by, hoping I'll learn enough python from osmosis to get
> > >comfortable with it.  From all indications, it is todays "ARexx" of
> > >scripting languages.
> > >
> > 	Having been spoiled by ARexx myself... No... Python will never be
> >
> > /that/... Even subprocess.popen() doesn't allow for the easy control
> > of other programs. One is stuck with M$ COM (the win32 extension
> > library or, more portable maybe [if the libraries are ported] ctypes
> > to do what "address ..." did in ARexx.
>
> Then it seems to me that work in the direction should be an active
> feature request.  Unforch, as I've said before, I'm rowing this barge
> with a toothpick for an oar. :)
>
> I would be interesting to see if the "bait" is taken. :)
>
> Thanks Dennis.
>
> Cheers, Gene

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My web page: <http://gene.homelinux.net:6309/gene> should be up!

Hate is like acid.  It can damage the vessel in which it is stored as well
as destroy the object on which it is poured.
         law-abiding citizens.