Using the MSI installer on Windows: Setting PATH and Setuptools

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com.dmarc.invalid
Thu Sep 19 18:22:42 EDT 2013

cython at m.allo.ws wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I really hate Windows, and I have only intermittent access to Windows machines right now.
>
> When I install Python 2.7 on Windows using the MSI installer, it definitely does not modify the PATH
> variable. So I modify the PATH variable myself as follows:
>
> setx PATH %PATH%;C:\Python27\
>
> Question 1: The command above requires a reboot in order to take effect, at least on Windows 8. How do
> I make it take effect immediately? Maybe if I repeat the same command again with 'set' instead of
> 'setx'? Does 'set' affect the whole machine, or only the current CMD.EXE session?

Set affects current session only.

"""
Setx provides the only command-line or programmatic way to directly and permanently set system environment values. System environment variables are manually configurable through Control Panel or through a registry editor. The set command, which is internal to the command interpreter (Cmd.exe), sets user environment variables for the current console window only.
""" ~ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755104.aspx

Setx should not require a reboot, but might require user
to log out and back in (or restart CMD). Also, note that
it modifies local environment by default and not system
environment.

[snip]

> Question 3: Does the Windows MSI installer from Python.org include Setuptools? python-guide.org
> implies that it does not include Setuptools, but I have never needed to manually install Setuptools, I
> am always able to use easy_install right away. Is my memory warped, or perhaps tainted by old Python
> installs on the same machine?

ActiveState's ActivePython MSI does include pip. FAQ says
it also includes distribute which you could remove
(I am guessing) but it will stop PyPM from working.
I believe they also setup the PATH for you. I think
ActivePython might be a slightly better installer for
Windows users--at least that is what some people have
recommended. I have not tried it myself, but it might
be worth taking a look.

The pip documentation uses the URL https://raw.github.com/pypa/pip/master/contrib/get-pip.py

pip documentation: https://pip.readthedocs.org/en/latest/installing.html

> Thank you,
>
> Zak

~Ramit

This email is confidential and subject to important disclaimers and conditions including on offers for the purchase or sale of securities, accuracy and completeness of information, viruses, confidentiality, legal privilege, and legal entity disclaimers, available at http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures/email.