mutlifile inheritance problem

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Wed Sep 18 20:38:10 EDT 2013

On 9/18/13 7:54 PM, Peter Cacioppi wrote:
> This is a very old topic, but here is a trick for single inheritance. (The problem you allude to isn't restricted to multiple inheritance).
>
> Any class with a single parent simply defines this function.
>

>      def mySuper(self) :
>          return super(self.__class__, self)
>
> And then any parent function be referenced like
>      self.mySuper().foo()

You can't use self.__class__ for super, it won't give you the right
class if you are using subclasses:

     class MyBase(object):
         def mySuper(self):
             return super(self.__class__, self)

         def say(self):
             print "This is MyBase!"

     class Thing(MyBase):
         def say_it(self):
             print "The parent:"
             self.mySuper().say()

         def say(self):
             print "this is Thing!"

     class SubThing(Thing):
         pass

     thing = Thing()
     thing.say_it()

     sub = SubThing()
     sub.say_it()

This produces:

     The parent:
     This is MyBase!
     The parent:
     this is Thing!

super() takes a class and an instance for a reason. If you could use
self.__class__ for the class, then it would only take the instance.
Super() needs to know the instance, but also needs to know the class
it's being called from.

--Ned.