iterating over a file with two pointers

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Sep 18 10:36:43 EDT 2013

On Sep 18, 2013, at 9:09 AM, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
> There's no need to use OS resources by opening the file twice or to
> screw up the IO caching with seek().

There's no reason NOT to use OS resources.  That's what the OS is there for; to make life easier on application programmers.  Opening a file twice costs almost nothing.  File descriptors are almost as cheap as whitespace.

> Peter's version holds just as many lines as is necessary in an
> internal Python buffer and performs the minimum possible
> amount of IO.

I believe by "Peter's version", you're talking about:

There's this note from http://docs.python.org/2.7/library/itertools.html#itertools.tee:

> This itertool may require significant auxiliary storage (depending on how much temporary data needs to be stored). In general, if one iterator uses most or all of the data before another iterator starts, it is faster to use list() instead of tee().

I have no idea how that interacts with the pattern above where you call tee() serially.  You're basically doing

with open("my_file") as f:
while True:
	f, g = tee(f)

Are all of those g's just hanging around, eating up memory, while waiting to be garbage collected?  I have no idea.  But I do know that no such problems exist with the two file descriptor versions.

> I would expect this to be more
> efficient as well as less error-prone on Windows.
>

> Oscar

---
Roy Smith
roy at panix.com