Remove \n, " " from tuple.

Vlastimil Brom vlastimil.brom at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 05:50:49 EDT 2013

2013/9/18 Venkat Addala <venkat.boffin at gmail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> I have a tuple in this format, which is retrived using MySQLdb, now i want
> to remove \n and extra spaces in this.
>
> 13L, 'ssDsC', 'CEs5s1, DsC', 'srylscetsmight\nghtscetylsse', '3',
> '3q25.1', 151531861L, 151546276L, '+', '1 kjafhkfhlad\fdfdsdf ghtscetylsse
> \ncontends the sctivity of dsfdk srylsmine N-scetyltrsnsfersse thst scts ss
> s cstslyst inbiotrsnsformstion fghjfg for srylsmine snd bvhghbh smine
> csrcinogens. Bgskjdg in ssDsC dfkdkdf in bresst snd prostrste csncer.', '',
> 'Msdhurs \nsgdfgssssvslingegowds', dstetime.dste(2013, 6, 14), None
>

> --
> Regards
> Venkat Addala  <http://in.linkedin.com/in/venkataddala/>
> Computational Biologist
>    O__  ----
>  _/ /`_ ---
> (*) \(*) --
>

> --
>
> Hi,
you can create a new tuple with the converted elements from the original one
using a list comprehension and the regular expression replacement, it could
be e.g.

>>> import re
>>> tuple([re.sub(r"\s+", " ", element) if isinstance(element, str) else
element for element in ("qw e", 1, 2, None, "U\nN IC", 'Q\tW E')])
('qw e', 1, 2, None, 'U N IC', 'Q W E')

re.sub(...) replaces one or more whitespace characters (space, newline, tab
...) with a single space - the pattern can be tweaked as needed (e.g. the
pattern r" *\n *| +" would only handle spaces and newlines explicitely).
This replacement is only applied on string elements of the tuple, others
are left unchanged
 if isinstance(element, str) is meant for  python 3, for python 2  if
isinstance(element, basestring) would be more appropriate
the elements are collected in a list using this list comprehension
and this intermediate list is finaly converted to a tuple if this immutable
container is needed.

hth,
  vbr