*.csv to *.txt after adding columns

Bryan Britten britten.bryan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 21:42:21 EDT 2013

Hey, gang, I've got a problem here that I'm sure a handful of you will know how to solve. I've got about 6 *.csv files that I am trying to open; change the header names (to get rid of spaces); add two new columns, which are just the results of a string.split() command; drop the column I just split; and then finally export to *.txt files. Here's the code I'm using:

import os
import csv

fileHandle = 'Path/To/Data'
varNames = 'ID\tCaseNum\tDate\tTime\tBlock\tIUCR\tPrimaryType\tDescription\tLocDesc\tArrest\tDomestic\tBeat\tDistrict\tWard\tCommArea\tFBICode\tXCoord\tYCoord\tYear\tUpdatedOn\tLat\tLong\tLoc\n'

for csvFile in os.listdir(fileHandle):
    outFile = open(fileHandle + os.path.splitext(csvFile)[0] + '.txt', 'w')
    inFile = open(fileHandle + csvFile, 'rb')
    reader = csv.reader(inFile, delimiter=',')
    rowNum = 0
    for row in reader:
        if rowNum == 0:
            outFile.write(varNames)
            rowNum += 1
        else:
            date, time = row[2].split()
            row.insert(3, date)
            row.insert(4, time)
            row.remove(row[2])
            outFile.write('\t'.join(row) + '\n')
    outFile.close()
    inFile.close()

The issue I'm having is that the *.txt files I'm generating are empty. I assume some unraised error is being thrown, but I'm new to Python and am self taught, so I don't know where to look or how to troubleshoot.

When I run the code on just one file and print the output instead of writing it, it looks exactly like what I'd want. So I'm at a loss for where the problem is.

Any help is appreciated!