Is %z broken for return values of time.gmtime()?

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Mon Sep 16 13:56:01 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013, at 9:15, Michael Schwarz wrote:
> According to the documentation of time.gmtime(), it returns a struct_time
> in UTC, but %z is replaced by +0100, which is the UTC offset of my OS’s
> time zone without DST, but DST is currently in effect here (but was not
> at the timestamp passed to gmtime()).

The struct_time type does not include information about what timezone it
is in.

You can use datetime.datetime (e.g. datetime.datetime.fromtimestamp(40 *
365 * 86400,datetime.timezone.utc) - the datetime.datetime class has a
strftime method.

You should be aware that %F and %T are not portable and won't work on
windows for example.