Tryign to send mail via a python script by using the local MTA

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 04:48:41 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM, Antoon Pardon
<antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
> Op 16-09-13 10:19, Chris Angelico schreef:
>> It's a contribution that SAYS that it looks carelessly written. I
>> think most people here are intelligent enough to know that that's
>> different from actual carelessness.
>
> The question is, should they care about that difference. The end
> result is a contribution that is just as hard to read.

Is it, really? I throw the question open: Is it really just as
difficult to read a deliberately-pointed-out sloppiness as an actual
one? And is it as much of a problem to the list?

>> In a debate, you make points and counterpoints. In most debates, you
>> also gain (or lose) "points for style". Steven scored plenty of the
>> latter IMO.
>
> And why should we accept you as the arbiter for this?

"We" shouldn't. Style points are per-listener. In my eyes he did well.
You may well disagree.

>> You're here making a straw-man and a false dichotomy; I
>> believe that "making a point" is sufficient justification for what
>> Steven and I did, but I don't think it justifies "any kind of means".
>
> Then your argument was incomplete, because it just mentioned making
> a point as if that in itself was sufficient.

Context. Context. Context. Sufficient justification for what it was
used for. You do not seriously believe that that needs to be spelled
out?

>> I would not, for instance, destroy Nikos's server, data, or access to
>> either, to make a point; and history will confirm this.
>
> No it doesn't.

No? He gave me his root password - check the list archives. I did none
of the above three destructive actions (nor any other destructive
action), even though it would have made my point much stronger to do
so.

ChrisA