Python GUI?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 18:49:48 EDT 2013

On 09/20/2013 01:58 PM, Metallicow wrote:
> Sorry about that, nokia is/was. qt was developed(IIRC) for phones.
> Someone made money. And a lot of it. wx is a more or less a "free"
> project. I don't use a phone anymore. If I had a touch screen phone
> and was a developer, I still wouldn't use one. I have my many reasons
> why...

Qt was first available back in 1995 from TrollTech, Inc.  Qt was always
about a good cross-platform UI toolkit that made it possible to develop
rich apps on Windows, Linux, and Mac.  Qt was one of the very first
modern GUI toolkits available on Linux.  I used KDE 1.0, which was based
on Qt back in 1998, long before cell phones with touch screens! In fact
I owe the KDE and Qt developers a debt of gratitude because KDE 1.0 was
really the first desktop that was usable to me as a Windows 95 refuge.
Moved to Linux and haven't looked back.

Qt only recently got touch stuff added, that make it work on phones and
tablets.  And the same touch stuff is going into GTK+, and I'm sure wx
will get it too soon, if they want to stay relevant.

And yes someone made money on Qt back in the day, as the company
TrollTech developed and marketed the toolkit for many years.  Back in
the 90s, a dispute over the open source licensing of the Qt source code
led to the creation of the Gnome project and desktop, using what became
known as the Gtk+ library.  Now, however, Qt is under the LGPL so it's
both free and open source in every way, and we are essentially reaping
the rewards of a very long and expensive development history, all for
free!  Whether it was generosity or desperation, it does not matter.

So I'm guessing you don't use Linux either, since people including Linus
Torvalds have become rich developing Linux.  Most linux development and
even governance is under the auspices of some for-profit companies.  Yet
it flourishes and has remained a free and open OS, thanks to Torvalds'
foresight to choose the GPL as the license for the kernel, which evens
the playing field and regulates the corporate influence.

Sounds to me like you've never used Qt in any of its versions.  I have
used Qt, GTK+, and wx, and they are all fine toolkits.  My current
preference is GTK+.