Python GUI?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 00:15:16 EDT 2013

On 09/12/2013 09:39 PM, Peter wrote:
> I stuck with Tkinter combined with PMW for a very long time, but the
> lack of extra widgets finally drove me to look elsewhere.
>
> I tried PyQT but didn't have a good experience. I can't remember
> details, but things just seemed to have little "gotchas" - which the
> mailing list were very helpful with sorting out, but I found it
> frustrating to keep asking for help over little items of unexpected
> behaviour.

Interesting. I have used Qt and PyQt, and except for the fact that PyQt
isn't very pythonic (feels like C++ translated directly to Python), I
never had any problems with it.  Maybe since I was already familiar with
signals and slots programming I never found any unexpected behavior[1].
 I've never used Tkinter, and I only ever used wxWidgets once (back when
it was called wxWindows), and the close similarity to MFC at the time
(which I was fleeing) didn't sit right with me.  Also the flexible
layout that Qt and Gtk encouraged was a big plus in my mind.  I guess
you like what you get used to.