Python GUI?

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Thu Sep 12 12:51:49 EDT 2013

On Sep 12, 2013 9:06 AM, <eamonnrea at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:05:14 AM UTC+1, Michael Torrie wrote:
> > On 09/11/2013 02:55 PM, eamonnrea at gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > PyQT -- You have a GUI designer, so I'm not going to count that
> >
> > What do you mean?  Gtk has a GUI designer too.  what of it
> >
> > > I, personally, really like wxPython, but I also really like Tkinter.
> >
> > > I've messed with PyGTK, but I'd choose wxPython over it.
> >
> > Not me.  wxWidgets' event model is way too MFC-esque for me.  Does it
> >
> > still use event numbers that you define?  Shudder.
> >
> > Gtk and Qt's method of signals and slots is by far the most powerful and
> > flexible.
> >
> > > Have you got anything to say on what one I should be using(excluding
> >
> > > PyQT because it has a D&D designer >:( )? Is Tkinter really dead?
> >
> > > Should I stick with wxPython?
> > I still don't understand why you are excluding Qt.  All modern toolkits
> >
> > are heading towards imperative GUI design.  With Gtk I use Glade and
> >
> > GtkBuilder.  My GUI is in a nice XML file that gets loaded and
> >
> > manipulated by my python class.  It's extremely clean.  And in the case
> >
> > of compiled programming, you don't have to recompile just to tweak
> >
> > something like a layout.
> > At the moment if someone were to come in from scratch and ask what GUI
> > toolkit to use, I would answer Qt with PySide.  It's the most
> > cross-platform of all the toolkits, and it's one of the most mature.
> >
> > Gtk is also good, but Windows and Mac support is always lagging behind
> >
> > X11, and it's not as good at fitting into the native look and feel.
>
> > > Also, with wxPython, it has kind of a "flow" layout like JFrame,
> >
> > > whereas it will adjust it's layout to look like a native Mac App,
> >
> > > Windows app or Linux App, correct? It'll look almost identical,
> >
> > > right? Not that it matters, I'm just curious! :D
> >

> > Possibly.  I know Qt and Gtk both can flip the button orders, etc to
> >
> > look more native.  And all good toolkits give you layout managers so you
> >
> > never have to resort to fixed layouts.  Qt's layout system is very
> >
> > different than Gtk's, but once you get the feel of it (use the Qt
> >
> > Designer program!), it makes a lot of sense.
>
> I didn't realise GTK has a GUI designer too :(
>
> I don't like it when you can D&D to position things. I don't understand
why someone wouldn't want to write the positioning code, and have fun with
the debugging. That's the best part about writing a program, in my opinion.
I'm against D&D with programming, and I'm not sure why.
> --

There are gui designers for wx as well. Doesn't mean you ever have to use
any of them (although I wouldn't want to write windows forms code by hand).
I do find it generally nicer to work with the markup formats (xrc for wx,
xaml for wpf, and so on) rather than trying to describe a gui in a
programming language.

The main difference between wx and qt is that qt looks native on every
platform while wx *is* native on every platform (it uses native controls
wherever possible). This means that wx integrates into the OS better, but
your also more likely to need OS-specific tweaks in wx, at least from my
experience from a few years ago.