better and user friendly IDE recommended?

Joe Junior joe.fbs.junior at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 13:04:20 EDT 2013

On 12 September 2013 13:00, Veritatem Ignotam
<veritatem.ignotam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this thread going to evolve into your classic vim vs. emacs, sweet!

Who doesn't love those? ;-)

On 09/12/2013 11:47 AM, Paul Rudin wrote:

> Joshua Landau <joshua at landau.ws> writes:
>
>> If the time learning a set of tools is enough to make the choice
>> between tools, I suggest avoiding, say, Vim.
>
> That's a big if.
>
> If you expect to spend a lot of time editing text, code, etc. over the
> next few years then it's definitely learning at least one of vim or
> emacs to a reasonable degree of competency.

I kinda disagree. Though I use and love emacs as my main editor,
simple things you take for granted in modern editors are simply not
there, and you end up spending some precious time finding out how to
have it (like a right-margin marker). Of course that's not a real
issue, since in the end you'll have everything and much more after
configuring and saving your .emacs in the cloud so everything is
always to your liking.

But then comes another problem: we don't live in a bubble. If you'll
ever have to use another programmer's box, you're screwed (That's why
I avoid getting used to non-standard packages).

Not to mention the mental switch. Not everything I need to use has
emacs-binding (I guess the same is true for vim-binding) and, most of
the time, the binding sucks anyway.

But the point I really disagree is that typing/editing speed impacts
so much programmer's productivity. In my experience I spend a lot more
time as a programmer (big emphasis on "lot") reading, thinking and
designing then writing code. So I find a good navigation tool more
important.

My solution/suggestion for python: emacs (in cua-mode for me) with Jedi.

Joe