Language design

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Sep 11 19:16:29 EDT 2013

Wayne Werner <wayne at waynewerner.com> writes:

> On Tue, 10 Sep 2013, Ben Finney wrote:
> >  The sooner we replace the erroneous
> >  “text is ASCII” in the common wisdom with “text is Unicode”, the
> >  better.
>
> I'd actually argue that it's better to replace the common wisdom with
> "text is binary data, and we should normally look at that text through
> Unicode eyes". A little less catchy, but more accurate ;)

No, that's inaccurate. A sequence of bytes is binary data. Unicode is
not binary data.

There are encodings which map Unicode to a sequence of bytes, but text is
not binary data.

--
 \       “For fast acting relief, try slowing down.” —Jane Wagner, via |
  `\                                                       Lily Tomlin |