Building tkinter on Windows

Westley Martínez anikom15 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 01:14:05 EDT 2013

Hello.  Can anyone tell me how to build tkinter on Windows?  I've downloaded the source, ran Tools/buildbot/external.bat to build the external dependencies.  I copied tcl85g.dll and tk85g.dll to PCBuild.  I built the Visual Studio solution.  Everything built fine without errors.  Everything seems to work except tkinter.  It says:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "...\cpython-idle\lib\tkinter\__init__.py", line 36, in <module>
    from tkinter import _fix
  File "...\cpython-idle\lib\tkinter\_fix.py", line 65, in <module>
    import _tkinter

I'm thinking I didn't put the DLLs in the right place, but I don't have any idea where to put them and Google isn't helping.