how to trouble shoot - RuntimeError: Open Failed

stas poritskiy stascrash at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 13:05:41 EDT 2013

The code in development is mine, and i am using the API provided by a main developer.

At the moment, i am not using any try/except functionality.

here is the full Exception output:
[CODE]
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python27\32bit\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1470, in __call__
    return self.func(*args)
  File "E:\sporitskiy\HON\Project\scene7\s7operator\gui.py", line 59, in <lambda>
    cmd1 = lambda: vntProcessor.colData(folders.path, folders.subFolders)
  File "E:\sporitskiy\HON\Project\scene7\s7operator\vntProcessor.py", line 184, in colData
    setVars()
  File "E:\sporitskiy\HON\Project\scene7\s7operator\vntProcessor.py", line 79, in __call__
    self.batchFiles()
  File "E:\sporitskiy\HON\Project\scene7\s7operator\vntProcessor.py", line 55, in batchFiles
    self.vntConnect.createVNTobjects(self.vntObjMgroup.keyList, self.vntLtoF.keyValList, self.vntObjFile.keyList, myPath)
  File "E:\sporitskiy\HON\Project\scene7\s7operator\vntProcessor.py", line 113, in createVNTobjects
    self.createImage(groupName, layerName, fileName, imagePath, self.vntGroups)
  File "E:\sporitskiy\HON\Project\scene7\s7operator\vntProcessor.py", line 137, in createImage
    img = open_image(imageFile)
  File "<string>", line 2, in open_image
  File "C:\Python27\32bit\lib\site-packages\s7vampy\arg_validator.py", line 213, in __call__
    return func(*args, **keywords)
  File "C:\Python27\32bit\lib\site-packages\s7vampy\image.py", line 181, in open_image
    return Image(_S7VAM_IMAGE.Open(filename))
RuntimeError: Open Failed: 'C:/Users/sporitskiy/Desktop/Practice/HIWM2MSB/hiwm2mpa_upholstery_esq_leather_ro_12_0001.tif'

[/CODE]

-- Just a few words on what this all does --

Structure: 3 modules
Module 1 - dataPreparation.py -responsible for string processing - made of several classes and methods that receive PATH to directory, collect all files in a LIST, after that for each file based on type of file name it sorts it out to appropriate categories that can be accessed through class instances.

Module 2 - gui.py - Responsible for GUI. It crates a simple GUi-layout that offer BROWSE button (to get the PATH), QUIT button to exit application, LISTBOX that lists subfolders from the PATH, and BATCH button that must execute the main processor.

Module 3 - vntProcessor.py - Responsible for processing of collected data. This module is based of an API of another application. It receives the values from the BATCH-button and invokes specific methods based on sorting that was performed using MODULE 1.

My approach:

i created an instance of GUI and call it to start interface ( have a window open) in the interface, i browse for specific folder, so my PATH variable is set. my list box is populated with subfolders.(using Tkinter for gui)

my next step should be to press the BATCH folder and forward all of the values (PATH and ARRAY of SUBFOLDERS) to my Module 3 (processor).
and as soon as my script tries to open NEXT FOLDER is when i get this RuntimeError, but if i leave the same folder by itself - everything is fine.

If by looking at the Exception Log i posted, you could tell me what portion of the code i should show here - it would be very helpful. thanks!