file handling issues

Piet van Oostrum piet at vanoostrum.org
Sat Sep 7 15:33:02 EDT 2013

Leo Carnovale <leo.carnovale at gmail.com> writes:

> Ah and one other thing!
> What is this crypto algorithm you speak of? I desperately need some sort of encryption as at the moment anyone can simply open the text file and change the numbers to numbers that work!
> Where can I learn more about it?

You can google for cryptography or look in Wikipedia. Now the question
is: will this game be played through the internet or on someone's
computer? If it is run on a computer then both the program and the
keyfile will be on that computer, so whatever algorithm you use the user
can use it either to detect the password derived from the key or choose
his own password and generate the corresponding key and put it in the
file. Or even change the program and take the check out. You could use
some obfuscation to make it difficult, like they do in DRM but basically
you cannot hode it from the user. If you use an internet connection then
of course you can keep the relevant data outside of the reach of the
user.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at vanoostrum.org>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/