Cannot form correctly the FORM part of the header when sending mail

Piet van Oostrum piet at vanoostrum.org
Wed Sep 4 12:06:55 EDT 2013

Heiko Wundram <modelnine at modelnine.org> writes:

> Am 03.09.2013 09:48, schrieb Ferrous Cranus:
>> Si there a workaround for that please?
>
> Yes, use/setup your own mailserver. Google will not allow you to send
> as ("i.e., From:") an arbitrary address besides the one you've
> authenticated as.

Actually, it does allow you. Only it adds the "Sender" header with your
email address.

The Sender field is to be used when the message is sent by another
person than the author of the message. For example when John at example.com
writes an email, but the actual sending of the email is done by his
secretary Charles at example.com, the following headers should be present.

From: John at example.com Sender: Charles at example.com

The mail agent should display John as the originator of the email, and
replies should go to him, unless the user chooses differently. However,
when there is an error in the transmission, error messages should go to
Charles.

At least that is what the RFC's say. And I think that is the logical way
to do it. Now some Microsoft mail programs will send replies to Charles,
which is incorrect.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at vanoostrum.org>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/