Simplex Algorithm

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 04:06:38 EDT 2013

On Sep 2, 2013 2:31 AM, "Tommy Vee" <xxxxx at xxxxxx.xxx> wrote:

> Anyone know where I can get an easy to use Python class or algorithm for
the Simplex optimization algorithm?  I've tried the one in the link below,
but I can't figure out if a) I'm using it properly, or b) where to get the
solution.  BTW, I tried some test scenarios using MS Excel's "Solver" and
just can't get this algorithm to match Excel's results (which is spot on).

> http://taw9.hubpages.com/hub/Simplex-Algorithm-in-Python
>
> BTW, if I can't something to work, I'm going to be forced to use the VBA
programmatic Excel interface. That wouldn't be too bad, but the data comes
from a DB and getting it properly positioned to use Excel's "Solver" is
very painful.  A Python approach would be much cleaner.

Are you able to use scipy? It has the simplex algorithm (among many others)
in its optimize module:
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/tutorial/optimize.html

Oscar