gethostbyname_ex(hostname) extremely slow (crossposted from stackoverflow)

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Sep 2 08:45:26 EDT 2013

In article <00843d58-db21-4cf0-9430-85362a1dd66f at googlegroups.com>,
 anntzer.lee at gmail.com wrote:

> As it happens I found a better way: just add the proper entry to /etc/hosts.

You have not found a better way.  You still have a network (or more
specifically, DNS) configuration that's broken.

What you have found is a pragmatic way to solve your immediate problem
and get some work done.  That is certainly useful (and I've done it
plenty of times), but you need to understand that what you've done is
hidden the problem, not solved it.