UnicodeDecodeError issue

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Sep 3 10:56:52 EDT 2013

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 08:45:00 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com>
> wrote:
>> I don't know Greek either, and I don't think there's any other language
>> that uses the Greek alphabet.
>
> Assuming you don't count mathematics as a language.

There are a few languages which use the Greek alphabet, with variations.
Coptic is the main one, although Greek and Coptic letters have their own
Unicode symbols, in order to support works which need to distinguish them.

Armenian and, of course, Cyrillic, are derived from the Greek alphabet;
actually so is the Latin alphabet.

Other languages that used, or use, the Greek alphabet include quite a few
ancient languages, including Gaulish and Bactrian. Old Nubian in the
Middle Ages used the Greek alphabet plus a few additional letters. A
number of Slavic languages used the Greek alphabet, although now they use
Cyrillic. Some Albanian dialects still use the Greek alphabet, as do a
couple of Turkic languages from the Balkans. See the Wikipedia entry on
the Greek alphabet for more.

--
Steven