semicolon at end of python's statements

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Mon Sep 2 06:52:45 EDT 2013

Op 02-09-13 11:52, Steven D'Aprano schreef:
> On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 10:29:05 +0200, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>
>> Why should we be more
>> concerned with cascading ifs than with cascading controls in general?
>
> What cascading controls?
>
> for element in seq:
>     if filter:
>         <block>
>

> is not a cascading control.

Why not?

> [...]
>> All these discussions
>> about combining controls would have been unnecessary without the
>> enforced strict indentation.
>
> Instead, we would have spent 100 times as much time and energy debating
> the One True Indentation Scheme, akin to the brace wars that went on for
> *years* in the C community. And still haven't completely gone.

So? Indeed there are too many people looking at these things as fighting
for the one true way. That is IMO part a big part of the problem. I have
no problem if someone else uses a different style than I do. Python as
a language tries too hard to enforce a one true way.

>> we wouldn't now be
>> discussing the pro and cons of loop comprehension because we could have
>> just layed out the code so that it illustrated our intention of a loop
>> comprehension.
>
> Which the current syntax is perfectly fine at doing.

Then you and I differ on what perfectly fine looks like.

--
Antoon Pardon