split lines from stdin into a list of unicode strings

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Thu Sep 5 04:33:59 EDT 2013

Kurt Mueller wrote:

> Am 29.08.2013 11:12, schrieb Peter Otten:
>> kurt.alfred.mueller at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> You can compromise and read ahead a limited number of lines. Here's my
>> demo script (The interesting part is detect_encoding(), I got a bit
>> distracted by unrelated stuff...). The script does one extra
>> decode/encode cycle -- it should be easy to avoid that if you run into
>> performance issues.
>
> I took your script as a template.
> But I used the libmagic library (pyhton-magic) instead of chardet.
> See http://linux.die.net/man/3/libmagic
> and https://github.com/ahupp/python-magic
> ( I made tests with files of different size, up to 1.2 [GB] )
>
> I had following issues:
>
> - I a real file, the encoding was detected as 'ascii' for
> detect_lines=1000.
>   In line 1002 there was an umlaut character. So then the
>   line.decode(encoding) failed. I think to add the errors parameter,
>   line.decode(encoding, errors='replace')

Tough luck ;) You could try and tackle the problem by skipping leading
ascii-only lines. Untested:

def detect_encoding(instream, encoding, detect_lines, skip_ascii=True):
    if encoding is None:
        encoding = instream.encoding
        if encoding is None:
            if skip_ascii:
                try:
                    for line in instream:
                        yield line.decode("ascii")
                except UnicodeDecodeError:
                    pass
                else:
                    return
            head = [line]
            head.extend(islice(instream, detect_lines-1))
            encoding =  chardet.detect("".join(head))["encoding"]
            instream = chain(head, instream)
    for line in instream:
        yield line.decode(encoding)

Or keep two lists, one with all, and one with only non-ascii lines, and read
lines until there are enough lines in the list of non-ascii strings to make
a good guess. Then take that list to determine the encoding.

You can even combine both approaches...