Functional Programming and python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Sep 30 21:03:41 EDT 2013

On 9/30/2013 5:02 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
> On 2013-09-30 19:04, Franck Ditter wrote:
>> two points make me crazy :
>> 1. Tail recursion is not optimized. We are in 2013, why ? This is
>> known technology (since 1960). And don't answer with "good
>> programmers don't use recursion",
>
> I seem to recall hearing that the primary reason it hadn't been
> implemented is because of Python's super-dynamism (to make up a
> word).

Right. A tail call is a call immediately followed by a return (in the
byte code or equivalent). A recursive tail call is a tail call to the
function containing the tail call. In Python, the function to be called
in a call is not determined until the call is made. This is because the
function expression is evaluated to a function object at runtime, not
when the function is compiled.

It would be trivial to detect and somewhat optimize all tail calls in
CPython. But the result would be to delete traceback info with *all*
tail calls, not just for recursive tail calls.

Some functions have multiple recursive calls, as with divide and conquer
algorithms and graph traversal. The last recursive call might or might
not be a tail call. When it is, having calls omitted from the traceback
might be undesireable. It might be disconcerting, for instance, if the
number of calls in the traceback for a balanced binary tree algorithm
did *not* match the level where the error took place.

--
Terry Jan Reedy