PEP8 79 char max

Neil Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Fri Sep 6 09:12:35 EDT 2013

On 2013-09-06, Tim Chase <python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
> On 2013-09-06 20:47, Tim Delaney wrote:
>> On 6 September 2013 20:35, Tim Chase wrote:
>> > I'm just glad it's no longer 40-chars-per-column and purely
>> > upper-case like the Apple ][+ on which I cut my programming
>> > teeth.
>>
>> Couldn't you switch the ][+ into high-res mode? You could with
>> the IIe. Made programming in DOS 3.3 BASIC so much nicer.
>
> There was an 80-column add-on card that also supported
> lower-case (though, IIRC, you also had to do a hardware hack to
> wire the <shift> key to the joystick button to get it to be
> recognized in certain cases).  The IIe was a far better
> machine, having the 80-column card built in.  PR#3 :-)
>
> I'm also glad Python doesn't require prefixing lines with
> line-numbers for GOTO/GOSUB purposes, then requiring external
> the line-renumbering utilities that AppleSoft BASIC required
> :-S

Though its graphics and sound were far inferior, as a C64 user I
was really jealous of the speed of the built-in Apple disk
drives. The only programming I did on them was typing in some of
the programs from "Compute!", back before it converted format to
C64 only. Anybody care for a game of Laserchess?

--
Neil Cerutti