PEP8 79 char max

Metallicow metaliobovinus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 22:59:34 EDT 2013

On Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:47:01 PM UTC-5, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 9/5/2013 6:21 PM, Metallicow wrote:
>

> > If you are still using equipment that requires 79, then chances are you have/will already gone out of business or are keeping/using said equipment for nostalgic purposes.
>

> > As far as math goes. 10 is a nice round number.
>

> 79 chars + 1 cursor (or \n) == 80, the nice round number.
>

> Anyway, it is just a guideline. Ignore it if you wish.
>

> --
>
> Terry Jan Reedy

Well, what I interpret as the PEP8 79 is chars visible minus the '\n' or '\r\n'(which would be 2; 81) line enders.
This is not stated in PEP8. PEP8 needs a bit of revision anyway, In my opinion... According to real-world standards for equipment/devices.
linking to a table/list of affected devices/minNumbers should be the norm.
or....

from codingguidelines import PEPStandards

... or something similar(Official PEP Zen Guidelines)