PEP8 79 char max

Metallicow metaliobovinus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 18:21:28 EDT 2013

Well as for my opinion, it is more closer to the truth than others because...
Experience:
1. I know Python and have read the PEP8.
2. I have knowledge of/worked with the Printing Trades.
3. Grandfather owned/operated own Printshop for 40+yrs. Which I also worked in at one point.

If you are still using equipment that requires 79, then chances are you have/will already gone out of business or are keeping/using said equipment for nostalgic purposes.

As far as math goes. 10 is a nice round number. So multiples of 10 are prefer. 80 being my personal choice for editing.

Zen says: Simple is better than complex.
Use a round number. Integer math is easier than float math for the majority of the population.
Time yourself, not the interpreter with these three questions:
In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess. If it helps get out the old school pen and paper.
Question1: 80/8
Question2: 79/8
Question3: How many chars does you calculator(real or virtual) support?

Zen says: Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules.
PEP8 isn't a rule. Rules are defined by the equipment/device developers.

Ask yourself... How often do you actually use these 79char devices?
Of course it is understandable for something small that can fit in your pocket might have less. For Example a smartphone.

Zen says:
Although practicality beats purity.
Errors should never pass silently.
Unless explicitly silenced.

PEP8 would have been better to define various numbers for realworld types of equipment/devices based on average general type of equipment/device specs.

Closing Zen:
If the implementation is hard to explain, it's a bad idea.
If the implementation is easy to explain, it may be a good idea.

Yep, that's my nuts and bolts on the issue.
Walk into you local Printshop and ask them about this stuff. Then on your way out the door, ask for a business card and see how many chars are on that also. Beware: You might actually learn something about advertising while you are there also.
:)