Algorithm that makes maximum compression of completly diffused data.

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Oct 30 17:18:36 EDT 2013

On 2013-10-30, jonas.thornvall at gmail.com <jonas.thornvall at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am searching for the program or algorithm that makes the best
> possible of completly (diffused data/random noise) and wonder what
> the state of art compression is.

[...]

> It is of course lossless compression i am speaking of.

For completely random noise, the CAT compression algorithm will
acheive the maximum theoretical result.  It's been available on Unix
systems for decades via the "cat" command.

It's also trivial to implement in your own code if you desire.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I put aside my copy
                                  at               of "BOWLING WORLD" and