personal library

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 17:31:14 EDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 7:19 AM, Tim Delaney
<timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com> wrote:
> What it comes down to for me is that Mercurial usage fits in my head and I
> rarely have to go to the docs, whereas with Git I have to constantly go to
> the docs for anything but the most trivial usage - even when it's something
> I've done many times before. I'm always afraid that I'm going to do
> something *wrong* in Git.

Oddly enough, I've had the opposite experience. With git, I can do
whatever I want easily, but with Mercurial, some tasks seem to elude
me. (Is there a "Mercurial cheat-sheet for git users" somewhere? I'm
looking for things like creating an emailable patch from a commit,
pulling in the latest updates while keeping my own changes (I think
rebase is a hg plugin??), and ideally, some approximate equivalent to
gitk as a visual representation of the repo.)

But yeah. Either git or hg will serve you well, and Bazaar (bzr) also
has its advocates. Getting to know all three (or at least git/hg) to
at least some extent will serve you well - at least be comfortable
enough with the basics to clone someone else's project, pull changes
from upstream, and see where it's at.

ChrisA