personal library

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 00:26:20 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
> First, I haven't seen any mention of a source control system.  Get one,
> learn it, and use it.  That should always hold your master copy.  And
> the actual repository should be on a system you can access from any of
> the others.
>
> Then, once you can get to such a repository, you use it to sync your
> various local copies on your individual machines.  You could have the
> synch happen automatically once a day, or whatever.  You could also
> build an auto-synch utility which pushed the synch from the server
> whenever the server was updated.
>
> If you're always going to be using these machines with real-time access
> to the central server, you could use Windows shares to avoid needing any
> updates.  Just create a share on the server, and mount it on each of the
> clients.  Add it to your system.path and you're done.

I don't know about Mercurial, but with git it's pretty easy to set up
a post-push hook that gets run whenever new changes hit the server.
>From there, you could have some registered replicas that get
immediately told to pull, which will give fairly immediate
replication. It's not actually real-time, but you have a guarantee
that they're up-to-date - if any change gets missed, it'll be caught
in the next update. It'd take a little work to set up, but you could
have something almost as convenient as shared folders but without the
messes and risks.

*Definitely* use source control.

ChrisA