First day beginner to python, add to counter after nested loop

Alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 30 11:15:44 EDT 2013

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 07:31:04 -0700, jonas.thornvall wrote:

> Den onsdagen den 30:e oktober 2013 kl. 15:22:50 UTC+1 skrev Alister:

>> > Easier said than done. First of all I can be as consistent as
>> > possible,
>>
>> > I can't just take code from someone else and insert it because that
>>
>> > other person may be consistenly doing it different from me.
>>

>> I disagree it is very easy.
>>

>> 1) make sure you editor is set to inset 4 spaces rather than tab when
>>
>> pressing the tab key. consistency in your own code is now not an issue.
>>

>> 2) when importing code from someone else a simple search & replace of
>> tab
>>
>> with 4 spaces will instantly correct the formatting on code using tab
>>
>> without breaking code that doesn't.
>>

>> > Then if you are working on different machines, the settings of your
>>
>> > editor may not always be the same so that you have tabs on one
>> > machine
>>
>> > and spaces on an other, which causes problem when you move the code.
>>

>> that is fixed by setting your environment consistantly but step 2 above
>>
>> will fix it if you forget.
>>

>> > Also when you have an xterm, selecting a tab and pasting it into
>> > another
>>
>> > it will turn the tab into spaces.
>>

>> Read pep 11 & always use 4 spaces for indentation not tab.
>>

>> > All these things usually can be ignored, they typically only show up
>>
>> > when you print something and things aren't aligned as you expect but
>>
>> > with python you are forced to correct those things immediately,
>> > forcing
>>
>> > you to focus on white space layout issues instead of on the logic of
>> > the
>>
>> > code.

>> > Maybe you mean something different than I understand but a program
>>
>> > throwing a syntax error because there is a tab instead of a number of
>>
>> > spaces or vice versa, is something I would understand as tripping.
>>

>> no more than failing to close a brace in a C like language
>>
>> indentation is the syntax of python you will grow to love it, like most
>>
>> people I found it distracting at first even though i tended to indent
>>
>> other code (inconsistently)to make it readable.
>>

>> --
>>
>> I am what you will be; I was what you are.
>
> Alister i do not ask for changing the actual implementation with indents
> that the compiler/interpretator work with. What i ask for is some
> courtesy relative the programmers using IDLE, to incorporate a simple
> automatic parser that let them who like to write slopy formatted with
> end instead to do so. And the parser in editor automaticly go in and
> autoindent *function, loops, if and allow end that the editor autoindent
> to end of loop. It can not be that hard i have implemented my own python
> using this...

In that case I think you have found yourself a project ;-)

I believe Idle is itself written in python so adding a clean-up function
that meets your requirements should be feasible. you may even find others
who find it useful.

Personally I would recommend finding a better environment than Idle

--
Your love life will be... interesting.