stacked decorators and consolidating

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Oct 29 13:52:19 EDT 2013

Tim Chase wrote:

> I've got some decorators that work fine as such:
>
>   @dec1(args1)
>   @dec2(args2)
>   @dec3(args3)
>   def myfun(...):
>     pass
>
> However, I used that sequence quite a bit, so I figured I could do
> something like
>
>   dec_all = dec1(args1)(dec2(args2)(dec3(args3)))

With these shortcuts

a = dec1(args1)
b = dec2(args2)
c = dec3(args3)

to make it look less messy your first attempt is

dec_all = a(b(c))

and the final decorated function will be

a(b(c))(myfun)

when it should be

a(b(c(myfun)))

i. e. instead of decorating myfun three times you are decorating the
decorator c twice and then use the result of that decoration to decorate
myfunc.

Does that help? I have my doubts ;)