How do I update a virtualenv?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Oct 28 23:02:36 EDT 2013

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

> I'm using Heroku, following their instructions. They have a "git init"
> in the midst of things, so I wind up with a git repo that matches up
> one-to-one for my Django project. ("git push" installs).

That's not a good thing; you don't want loads of third-party files in
your VCS repository.

Instead, the deployment to the live system should be done from a wholly
separate build area, and the virtualenv can serve as that build area.
Then, your VCS need only contain the files you'll actually be changing
as source code.

Where specifically are these instructions that tell you to put the
virtualenv under VCS control? As you are a Heroku customer (I'm not),
would you be willing to suggest they alter them based on advice from
this forum?

--
 \          “Pity the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.” —Donald |
  `\                                              Robert Perry Marquis |