Setting up for python django development with Debian Linux

Gary Roach gary719_list1 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 28 15:46:07 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I have been trying to set up a python, django, mysql, virtualenvwrapper
and git development project and am really confused. All of the
documentation seems to ignore the apt-get installation methods used by
Debian Linux and its derivatives. Does pip install the same as apt-get;
I don't think so. If I use virtualenvwrapper, how does this fit with the
normal debian (wheezy) installation. I also need git which just confuses
the situation even more. Must I give up the automatic updating system
that Debian provides when setting up the development environment? The
documentation centers on Windoz, Mac and generic Linux distributions and
ignores the automation of the Debian installation. All of the
documentation I have found concentrates on the installation of
individual packages or on the use of python-django and is very sketchy
on the overall virtualenv(wrapper), git, python-django file structure
and installation order.

Any help with straightening out my brain in this area will be sincerely
appreciated.

Gary R.