how to avoid checking the same condition repeatedly ?

Mariano Anaya marianoanaya at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 09:34:57 EDT 2013

On Monday, October 28, 2013 6:50:19 AM UTC-3, Wolfgang Maier wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> this is a recurring programming problem that I'm just not sure how to solve
>
> optimally, so I thought I'd ask for your advice:
>
> imagine you have a flag set somewhere earlier in your code, e.g.,
>

> needs_processing = True
>

> then in a for loop you're processing the elements of an iterable, but the
>
> kind of processing depends on the flag, e.g.,:
>

> for elem in iterable:
>
>     if needs_processing:
>
>         pre_process(elem)  # reformat elem in place
>
>     print(elem)
>

> this checks the condition every time through the for loop, even though there
>
> is no chance for needs_processing to change inside the loop, which does not
>
> look very efficient. Of course, you could rewrite the above as:
>

> if needs_processing:
>
>     for elem in iterable:
>
>         pre_process(elem)  # reformat elem in place
>
>         print(elem)
>
> else:
>
>     for elem in iterable:
>
>         print(elem)
>

> but this means unnecessary code-duplication.
>

> You could also define functions (or class methods):
>
> def pre_process_and_print (item):
>
>     pre_process(item)
>
>     print(item)
>

> def raw_print (item):
>
>     print(item)
>

> then:
>
> process = pre_process_and_print if needs_processing else raw_print
>
> for elem in iterable:
>
>     process(elem)
>

> but while this works for the simple example here, it becomes complicated if
>
> pre_process requires more information to do its job because then you will
>
> have to start passing around (potentially lots of) arguments.
>

> So my question is: is there an agreed-upon generally best way of dealing
>
> with this?
>

> Thanks for your help,
>
> Wolfgang

Hi All,
Trying to help you out, I wonder if something like the following code will help on what you need.

for elem in (needs_processing and iterable or []):
    pre_process(elem)  # reformat elem in place
    print(elem)

It avoids code duplication and only process and iterates if the condition is True.
I hope it helps, otherwise, we could keep thinking alternatives.

Regards.
Mariano.