Using the nntplib module to count Google Groups users

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 04:28:48 EDT 2013

On Sunday, October 27, 2013 12:07:29 PM UTC+5:30, Zero Piraeus wrote:
> The results:
>

> Senders: 1701
> GG users: 879
>
> ... so just over 50%.
>

> If anyone wants the complete output, just let me know and I'll email it
> privately.

If you have a GG account just go to the 'aboutgroup' info here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!aboutgroup/comp.lang.python

It tells me there are 21447 members.

What that means I shall not hazard.

Instead I quote a book 'Mathsemantics' by Edward Macneal

I 1980 I was one passenger, ten passengers, eighteen passengers, thirty-six passengers, forty-two passengers, fifty-five passengers, seventy-two passengers and ninety-four passengers.  Each of these statements is true.
... explanation...
I was one passenger in the sense that I was a person who traveled by air in that year.
I was eighteen passengers in the sense that I made eighteen round trips.
I was forty-two passengers in the sense that on forty-two different occasions I entered and exited the system of a different carrier.
I was seventy-two passengers in the sense that on seventy-two occasions I was on board an aircraft when it took off from one place and landed at another.
I was ninety-four passengers in the sense that I made ninety-four separate entrances and exits from airport terminal buildings.