Removing python django projects

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sun Oct 27 15:19:48 EDT 2013

On 10/26/13 9:14 PM, Gary Roach wrote:
> Hi
>
> In the process of trying to learn python, django, mysql and
> virtualenvwrapper, I have created two projects and a mess. How can I
> strip everything from a Debian, Wheezy, linux system. The files are
> all over the place. Much of the information in this area is for Mac or
> Windoz systems that do not have the apt-get, aptitude tools that
> Debian makes available.
>
> My goal is to end up with a clean system ready for re installation of
> a development environment.
>
> Any help will be sincerely appreciated.
>
> Gary R.

The way to keep things clean is with virtualenv.  When creating a
project, start by making a virtualenv for it.  Always activate the
virtualenv when working on the project.  Always install Python packages
with pip, they will be installed into your virtualenv.

When you no longer need the project, you can simply delete the
virtualenv directory, it has everything in it.

The helper virtualenvwrapper provides some shell tools to make some of
this easier, but it's completely optional.

--Ned.