trying to strip out non ascii.. or rather convert non ascii

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 11:38:28 EDT 2013

Le mardi 29 octobre 2013 06:22:27 UTC+1, Steven D'Aprano a écrit :
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 07:01:16 -0700, wxjmfauth wrote:
>

> > And of course, logically, they are very, very badly handled with the
>
> > Flexible String Representation.
>

> I'm reminded of Cato the Elder, the Roman senator who would end every
>
> speech, no matter the topic, with "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse
>
> delendam" ("Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed").
>

> But at least he had the good grace to present that as an opinion, instead
>
> of repeating a falsehood as if it were a fact.
>

> --
>
> Steven

------

>>> import timeit
>>> timeit.timeit("a = 'hundred'; 'x' in a")
0.12621293837694095
>>> timeit.timeit("a = 'hundreij'; 'x' in a")
0.26411553466961735

If you are understanding the coding of characters, Unicode
and what this FSR does, it is a child play to produce gazillion
of examples like this.

(Notice the usage of a Dutch character instead of a boring €).

jmf