Debugging decorator

Schneider js at globe.de
Mon Oct 28 08:43:38 EDT 2013

On 10/26/2013 01:55 AM, Yaşar Arabacı wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I wrote this decorator: https://gist.github.com/yasar11732/7163528
>
> When this code executes:
>
>      @debugging
>      def myfunc(a, b, c, d = 48):
>          a = 129
>          return a + b
>
>      print myfunc(12,15,17)
>
> This is printed:
>
>      function myfunc called
>      a 12
>      c 17
>      b 15
>      d 48
>      assigned new value to a: 129
>      returning 144
>     144
>
> I think I can be used instead of inserting and deleting print
> statements when trying to see what is
> passed to a function and what is assingned to what etc. I think it can
> be helpful during debugging.
>
> It works by rewriting ast of the function and inserting print nodes in it.
>
> What do you think?

Looks very nice, but I've three  questions:

1. What happens, if a function has more then one decorator? Wouldn't it
be better to
just remove the debugging decorator instead of removing all decorators?

2. In the case of an assignment (but holds for the return statement too).
think about the following code:

a = 0
@debugging
def foo():
     a = a +  1

def bar():
     #assign something else to a

Imagine foo() and bar() being called in two different threads. Wouldn't
it be better

to replace  a = a + 1 by

|global_debugging_lock_objekt.acquire()|
a = a + 1
print "assigned new value to a, %r", a
|global_debugging_lock_objekt.release()|

for some global lock object.

3. What happens in the case of  a += 1?

bg,
Johannes