Cookie aint retrieving when visiting happens from a backlink.

Νίκος Αλεξόπουλος nikos.gr33k at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 04:46:45 EDT 2013

Στις 25/10/2013 11:33 πμ, ο/η Chris Angelico έγραψε:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Νίκος Αλεξόπουλος
> <nikos.gr33k at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Isn't this strange?
>> No matter if you visit a webpage as a direct hit or via a referer the cookie
>> on the visitor's browser should have been present.
>>
>> But it can only can be found and retrieved as a direct hit and _not_ from a
>> referrer backlink.
>
> Trace your logs. You've been told this before; are you sure the
> request is even getting to your server?

Please be more detailed to what you want me to check.

> Fundamentally, you're caring about things that it's a LOT easier to
> not care about. Just let things happen, and don't try to track people
> so much. Not only will some people object to it (are you, for
> instance, complying with EU regulations about cookies?), but you're
> going to keep running into situations where you just *can't* track
> people, no matter how hard you try.

If an expert want to hide from my tracking of course he can use a proxy,
or a TOR service, or incognito Chrome mode or whatever to bypass cookie
tracking. But the usual visitors wont even know these things and their
browser will accept cookies.

I do this not as a way to track everybody, but to learn handling
cookies, database storing of cookies ans stuff like that.

But i cannot overcome this weird baclink referring visits that tend to
ignore cookies stored in the browser.

I need an explanation for that because it screwns my visitors databases.