status of regex modules

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 24 17:47:43 EDT 2013

The new module is now five years old.  PEP 429 Python 3.4 release
schedule has it listed under "Other proposed large-scale changes" but I
don't believe this is actually happening.  Lots of issues on the bug
tracker have been closed as fixed in the new module, see issue 2636 for
more data.  Some work is still being carried out on the old re module.

So where do we stand?  Is the new module getting into Python 3.x, Python
4.y or what?  If no do all the old issues have to be reopened and
applied to the re module?  Who has to make the final decision on all of
this?

Note that I've no direct interest as I rarely if ever use the little
perishers, I just find this situation bizarre.

But the best has yet to be invented.  Christian Tismer

Mark Lawrence