Maintaining a backported module

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 08:25:54 EDT 2013

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:16:58 PM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 06:36:04 -0400, Ned Batchelder wrote:
>
> > coverage.py currently runs on 2.3 through 3.4
>
> You support all the way back to 2.3???
>
> I don't know whether to admire your dedication, or back away slowly since
> you're obviously a crazy person :-)

Yes, in the end youve to choose between a rock and a hard place:
Either you write idiomatic, beautiful 3-code that is not 2-compatible or you write not so beautiful code putting compatibility at the highest priority.

Cant think of examples right now but Ive seen very old python code with  True, False defined and inside try-block and all that.  Looks ugly but is compatibility-wise correct adn appropriate

BTW saw this yesterday:
An interesting read correlating OSS projects that succeed and fail with the difference between a commitment to computer science and to computer engineering.
Consider it an early-warning system!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danwoods/2013/10/22/why-hasnt-open-source-taken-over-storage/